Do something nice for someone who is stressed

Who would have thought that this week I would drive to campus at 9 pm with a plate of lasagna or walk through the testing center with a box of kolaches. I definitely didn’t, but that is what transpired from a challenge given by my professor, Shayne.

Finals are approaching, stress levels are rising, and time is becoming more precious. With tests and projects looming over our heads, Shayne challenges us to do even more - to do something nice for someone who is stressed. Why? Because he knows exactly what will help us have meaning and happiness during this busy season of finals.

It was Wednesday this week. We had just finished giving our business expansion proposal on Hruska’s Kolaches. I was walking home with a box of leftover kolaches feeling good about myself. I had in my hands several delicious treats I could enjoy the next couple days. 

I had a random thought. You should give out these extra kolaches to people you see. I said a prayer and started looking around for someone who I felt needed this. No one was in sight so I decided to walk to the testing center. I thought if I was to find someone feeling stressed that would be the place to go.

I walked inside and looked around. No one was standing out to me. I only had 6 pastries and knew I couldn’t give them to everyone. I walked out the testing center door, and there in front of me was a friend about to go study for the test. We talked for a bit and I gave her a pastry. Then right as she left I saw another friend from my ward whom I hadn’t seen in weeks. I talked to him and gave him a pastry. It felt like the series of events was placed together and meant to happen.

The second experience I had was inspired by my roommate. He felt we should make dinner for our ministering brothers and sisters. We made lasagna today to share with them. We dropped some off at the sisters apartment but did not get in contact with the brothers. We ended up stopping by around 9 and one of the guys was home. He told us that his roommate was on campus and would be there all night working on a robot for a project. We drove up to the Clyde building and stopped by to give him the lasagna. It was fun.

Thanks Shayne for the challenge! 






Comments