Bluebird Day

Today was a beautiful day, aka it felt incredible to shred the gnar! Skiing is one of my passions. In high school, it was common for me to hit the slopes almost every Saturday with my buddies. Ever since I graduated high school and started college, it has been difficult to find time to go. Unfortunately, skiing has dropped on my list of priorities as time becomes more precious to me. Nevertheless, I try to go up at least a couple times each year.

 January and February both have had major snow storms. I regularly check the snow forecast and see the powder day reports. I was itching to go. This week we received a winter storm warning and I knew it was time for me to hit the slopes. I checked with my roommate and our schedules finally matched so that we could go on Saturday. 


We went to one of the highest peaks in the resort and instantly found some powder. Gradually, the mountain was getting skied out. We noticed an untouched patch of snow in the distance. We got off the lift and decided to traverse the mountain to the untouched snow. The powder was waist deep and felt like a trampoline. We hurried back to this same location as fast as we could. This time, as we were hiking to the top, we decided to keep hiking instead of stopping halfway. We met a fellow skier during our hike. He appeared to be experienced because of his backcountry ski pack. We followed him to the top and chatted with him for a bit. He recommended we loop around the mountain and drop into the same chute he was going to. It was amazing. I now know why ski-bums love their powder.



(The backcountry skier recommended this hill. Those few tracks were ours.)

Comments