Powerful Leaders and BYU Adobe Case Competition

In my business writing class, we discussed leadership and the qualities of successful leaders. Take a moment to think about someone in your life that you admire and want to emulate. Consider the following questions:

  • How do they treat others?
  • What impression do they leave with people?
  • What characteristics do you admire in them?
As I thought about these questions, certain answers came to mind. 

First, I believe a good leader is both humble and confident. The person believes in his/herself and also in others. These leaders don't consider themselves better than others. David Ogilvy once said, "hire people smarter than you." Therein lies progress and success.

Second, I believe good leaders choose to be happy and respond well to setbacks. They understand the people around them, and they know how to help those people succeed.

Lastly, I believe great leaders leave the impression that they are reliable and trustworthy. They are responsible.

These are just a few of many important characteristics. Service and love are also essential characteristics of great leaders.

A few weeks ago, my roommate randomly invited me to the Business Strategy Club meeting. Adobe came to BYU to present a case study for a competition. I decided to go and sat next to John (middle man in the picture). We made some other connections and formed a team. We worked on it for a couple weeks and made it through the semifinals to the finals. On Friday, February ,1 we went to Adobe with four other teams to present. We placed first in the competition. It was an incredible opportunity. I'm grateful for my team, the strategy club, and Adobe for making it possible. It was definitely a highlight of my week and we (my team) were ecstatic!


Comments